I don’t know about you, but my first yoga class was slightly awkward. As I looked around the class there were so many people on so many different fitness levels, from very flexible ladies, a pregnant lady and even a guy joined us.
After a couple of minutes in, I realised some moves had a lot of technique to it which were really hard to perform. So here are a few tips to make beginners feel a little bit more comfortable.
- Focus on your breathing. Breathing is one of the main techniques to focus on in yoga and will help you to perform certain movements. It’s easier to have a relaxed breath while balancing, rather than panting and groaning.
- If you can, bring a friend it really helps to conquer the nerves.
- Don’t compare yourself to anyone else. You never know how many classes they’ve been to or what other physical activity they are involved in. If they look pro, they might’ve been doing it for ages. Just think, that one day, you’ll be like them after consistently going to yoga classes.
- Can’t do a certain move? Don’t stress about it! Attempt it first (because you never know unless you try) and if you really can’t do it, peel back and ask the instructor for a modified position. The instructor will generally let you know if there’s an easier way of doing it.
- Listen to what your body is saying. If you can’t stretch anymore and you force yourself into position, that’s when you start to lose balance and keep wobbling. You are trying too hard. You should just relax yourself into the position. You’ll feel when your body is capable of something.
- Don’t forget your towel.
- Bring water! It does get quite tough, especially if you have no physical background before your first few yoga classes. Keeping hydrated is really important.
- Yoga is performed bare foot, so if you’re really self conscious about your feet, it definitely helps to have your toe nails painted hehe
- Most of all, have FUN!
Comment below if you have any other tips to make yoga classes a little less awkward